Local News

Akeem ReachnaijaNovember 16, 2018
IMG_20181116_203632_899.jpg

2min00

A meeting between the Nigerian government and university lecturers has ended Thursday evening without resolution of the nationwide strike by the teachers.

The teachers said the strike which began on November 4 would continue.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) called the strike over its demands for improved funding of universities and welfare of lecturers.

Thursday’s meeting began 3p.m and ended 8:15 p.m.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said government’s discussion with ASUU will continue next week .
Mr Ngige earlier said the meeting with the university teachers was late in coming due to the minimum wage negotiation.

He appealed to ASUU to put the interests of student as who are at the receiving end into consideration.

ASUU president, Biodun Ogunyemi, said the union have tendered its request and also said the meeting has been adjourned till next week.

According to him, no date has been fixed but “we will communicate the date to you tomorrow,” he told waiting journalists.

He said the union was forced to call the strike after its plea for the implementation of the 2009 agreement fell on deaf ears.

“Our meeting with the education minister in May and September to remind him about federal government promises to implement the agreement yielded no result,” he said.

Mr Ogunyemi earlier said the government had promised to take action on issues raised in the last MOU signed by the two parties but “it does appears that federal government is dribbling the union.”


Akeem ReachnaijaNovember 16, 2018
IMG_20181116_181616_965.jpg

6min00
Atiku Starts Campaign on Monday, to Launch Policy Document

Meanwhile, Atiku is billed to start his campaign on Monday in Abuja with the launch of his policy document, which would entail how he intends to direct the country if he gets into the saddle of leadership next year.

Multiple sources close to the campaign told THISDAY last night that the presidential candidate is rounding off his composition of the campaign machine, which would be a mix of the organisation that delivered him at the primary, the party and former aspirants’ structures.

Atiku was said to have addressed members of his Campaign Organisation last Monday and briefed them on the shape of the emerging structure, telling them that they would be collapsed into a more inclusive electioneering machine that would be used to power him into the presidency.

The party leadership, THISDAY gathered, would meet today to continue the harmonisation of the lists of people being proposed to man the directorates of the campaign.

The PDP presidential candidate had last month announced his ally but also a challenger at the primary, Senate President Bukola Saraki, as the director-general of the presidential campaign.

It also named the zonal directors. Governor Aminu Tambuwal (Sokoto State) was put in charge of North-west; Alhaji Ibrahim Dankwambo (Gombe State), North-east; Dr. Samuel Ortom (Benue State), North-central; Mr. Ayo Fayose, South-west; Chief Dave Umahi (Ebonyi State), South-east; and Chief Nyesom Wike (Rivers State), South-south.

However, THISDAY learnt the comprehensive campaign council might be announced on Saturday

A reliable source told THISDAY yesterday that while the final decision has not been taken, the presidential campaign programmes and activities would be unveiled on Monday.

The source said, “The presidential campaign will start in Abuja on Monday, and the comprehensive campaign council will be announced on Saturday.”

The source said, “He will unveil his policy document in Abuja which entails how he will run the country if elected president.”

However, speaking with THISDAY yesterday, the spokesperson of Atiku Presidential Campaign Organisation (APCO), Mr. Segun Sowunmi, said the PDP as a political party has demonstrated over the years that it is a big party, adding that since the coming on board of the National Chairman of the party, Prince Uche Secondus, the party has gone a step further to show how transparent the party has become.

He added that processes of the party and the drivers of the processes are very clear, stressing that the campaign structure for the presidential campaign would not be any different.

He said, “Like you are aware, his excellency has returned a couple of days ago and in a few days I believe, any moment from now, the comprehensive campaign council will be unveiled, which to the best of my knowledge, will be under the leadership of Senate President, Bukola Saraki. All the other members of those committees will be unveiled in due course.

“As for when our campaign will start, I can assure you that we will be starting immediately the whistle is blown for our programmes and activities are well brochure and we will put into be unveiling them one after the other.

“From the way I perceive it, which is not final or authorised or approved, I believe that the first thing that we deserve to do is to bring to the table a comprehensive policy unveiling. And before this unveiling, we would have easily commenced our activities, where we will go, when we will go and the areas we will go will be unveiled.”

Sowunmi said the PDP was ready to hit the campaign trail.

He stated, “We have always been ready, Nigerians are ready, Nigerians are also ready, Atiku is ready, he has always been ready, members of the campaign team, members of the campaigns team are ready, the APCO is ready, they have always been ready, our support groups are ready, they have always been ready, our party faithful across the nation are also ready and I believe that the media and the international community are also ready.”


Akeem ReachnaijaNovember 16, 2018

3min00

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has dismissed the threat by state governors to reduce their workforce if compelled to pay N30,000 as national minimum wage, saying it represented the position of a few anti-worker governors.

NLC president Comrade Ayuba Wabba, said in a statement yesterday that many worker-friendly governors are ready to pay even higher than the negotiated N30,000.

The Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) had said in a communiqué on Wednesday that states would go bankrupt if forced to pay the proposed N30,000 minimum wage, unless the revenue sharing formula is reviewed or workers downsized.

Wabba said NGF’s threat to sack workers is not new in the struggle for a new minimum wage in Nigeria, adding that the one by the NGF, led by Zamfara State Governor Abdulaziz Yari, cannot be used to intimidate labour.

He said the consequences of retrenching workers are too grievous for any political office holder truly elected by the people to contemplate.

He said, “We propose that since a few political office holders are bent on enslaving Nigerian workers with peanuts mislabeled as salaries, we urge such elected public officials to subject their humungous salaries and allowances, reputed to be among the highest in the world, pro rata with the minimum wage they want to force down the throats of Nigerian workers. We, therefore, urge each State Governor to go to their respective states and inform workers and their families their individual position on the new national minimum wage of N30,000.”

The NLC president directed workers to vote out any politician or political party that refuses to pay the new national minimum wage of N30,000.

He called on President Muhammadu Buhari to be wary of some people, especially in the governors’ forum, who pursue selfish and personal reasons, to present him as an anti-worker president and by extension orchestrate anti-Buhari sentiments in the populace.

“We also call on him to speedily present to the National Assembly the bill on the National Minimum Wage for appropriate amendment and implementation. Because the New National Minimum Wage of N30,000 was a product of intense and robust negotiations at the National Minimum Wage Tripartite Negotiation Committee that lasted for one year,” Wabba said.


Akeem ReachnaijaNovember 16, 2018

3min00

A leading pro-Democracy group in Kwara State Nigeria, Kwara Must Change has stated that it can authoritatively report that the All Progressive Congress (APC) will win the November 17th by election taking place in Ekiti, Oke-Ero, Isin and Irepodun federal constituency of Kwara State with over 70% margin.

The group stated, in a statement signed by the Kwara Must Change state coordinator, Yusuf Olatunji that the figure was gotten from its recent survey in the state, particularly in the 4 local government areas where a by election is coming up.

‘’Kwara Must Change survey in the area, which commenced about than 3 months ago was concluded this week and the result indicated that the people of Kwara have been well informed about issues and majority of whom are well prepared for Kwara political liberation’’.

The survey, according to the group engaged 250 people in each of the 4 local government areas where the by election would be taking place and the result shows that more than 70% of the population are ready to vote against any candidate of the Bukola Saraki led dynasty and as the major opposition party in the state, All Progressive Congress (APC) happens to be a beneficiary of the peoples collective resolve to end Saraki’s dynasty once and for all.

Residents in the areas covered noted that, the level of political awareness about the state of affairs in the state is in all time high, as virtually all Kwarans are now more informed than ever before, adding that people who prefer to stick to Saraki led dynasty are doing so for personal reasons.

Reason for the upsurge in public consciousness is not unconnected to the rise in the activities of political movements, civil society groups and establishment of private radio stations.
It was noted that‘’Even in rural areas with low public engagement, the direct engagement of the people by Kwara Must Change (KMC) grassroot network has significantly increased the level of sensitization.

Additionally, the proliferation of private radio stations in the state, particularly radio station that focused on local content also contributed to the astronomic increase in public awareness. It was further noted that, the consistent engagements on these radio stations over time help provide public with valuable insights and perspective about issues that shaped public understanding.

Many also observe that, activities of civil and pro-democracy groups like Kwara Must Change significantly contributed to the mass awareness.

For example, Kwara Must Change consistent engagement with government on all important public issues was credited to have shaped local perception and gave many inspiration to take definite position about their political choices.


Akeem ReachnaijaNovember 16, 2018

2min00

The ICPC said in a statement signed by its spokesperson, Mrs Rasheedat Okoduwa, that Manga, who is serving in the Niger State Command of the NSCDC, was accused of procuring and presenting a forged Nigeria Certificate in Education with lower credit from the Adamu Augie College of Education, Kebbi State, using the document to secure employment with the NSCDC in 2004.

The commission stated that Manga’s luck ran out in 2016 when the Minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Dambazau, upon suspicion that forged certificates were presented by many officers of parastatals under the ministry, wrote to the ICPC to scrutinise the credentials of the personnel presented either at the entry point or during the period of their service.

“The commission immediately swung into action and its investigation revealed that the NCE presented by Manga before he was employed by the NSCDC, which he purportedly obtained in 2001 was forged, as his name was not on the convocation list of that year,” the ICPC stated.

Counsel for the ICPC, Maskur Salisu, averred that the defendant’s action was contrary to sections 363 and 366 and punishable under Section 364 of the Penal Code Law, adding that if found guilty, Manga was liable to 14 years’ imprisonment.

“The accused person entered a not guilty plea when the two charges preferred against him were read to him. His counsel, Hussaini Zakariya, prayed the court to grant his client bail, which was not opposed by the prosecution counsel. He was granted bail in the sum of N2m and a surety in like sum, who must possess a landed property within the jurisdiction of the court. The case has been adjourned till December 11 and 12, 2018 for hearing,” the statement added.


Akeem ReachnaijaNovember 16, 2018
IMG_20181116_121617_206.jpg

3min00
The abductors Zamfara twin sisters have threatened to kill one of the girls if payment of their ranson is not made on time.

The twins, Hassana and Hussaina, were kidnapped last month in Dauran town while distributing the invitation cards of their wedding.

A family member, Ibrahim Abubakar, who spoke with the kidnappers and the twins on phone said the kidnappers had reduced the ransom to N15million.

“We are only able to get N6m selling our properties and receiving contributions from family members, politicians, traders and ordinary people,” Mr Abdubakar told DAILY NIGERIAN on Thursday night.

In a viral audio clip, one of the twin sisters, Hussaina was heard sobbing, complaining about maltreatment and appealing for help.

“I am battling with headache. We are in dire situation, they are about to kill us,” Hussaina sobbed.

“The beat us every morning. Please help rescue us. Even yesterday, they slaughtered some people in our presence.

“We are starving. Please get contributions even from the general public.”

But one of the abductor’s interjected, saying the call would be the last he would make with the twins as they failed to deliver the ransom.

The state government had last week directed the recruitment of 8,500 civilian Joint Task Force operatives from 17 emirate councils across the state to assist security agencies in combating insecurity.


Akeem ReachnaijaNovember 16, 2018
IMG_20181116_120655_978.jpg

3min00
The Edo State Governor, Mr Godwin Obaseki, has made true his promise to reconstruct failed roads across the state with the commencement of work on 109 roads in the three senatorial districts.

The contractors handling the projects were seen with their workers on site on Thursday when journalists went around Benin metropolis to inspect the road projects.

The workers were seen with their equipment on Ugbor-Amagba Road which covers 13.8 kilometres, according to the contractor.

Major reconstruction work is ongoing in parts of Government Reservation Area (GRA) in Benin City, including Boundary Road, as residents expressed appreciation to the Governor Obaseki-led administration for taking advantage of the dry days to fix the roads.

Speaking to journalists at Etete Junction on Adesuwa Road, Assistant Supervisor, Heartland Nigeria Limited, Charles Erua, said they are rehabilitating failed portions of Etete Road.

Erua explained that “after fixing this part of the road our men will move to 1st and 2nd Ugbor as well as other roads in the axis.”

It was gathered that the 109 roads have been grouped into axis; New Benin, GRA, Sokponba, Okhoro, Medical, Agbor Road and Upper Sokponba, Ekenhuan, Siluko and Agbor Road in Edo South Senatorial District.

Others are in Edo Central and Edo North senatorial districts.

Recall that the state government carried out a major audit of bad roads in the state recently, to update the existing data on the conditions of all roads in the state.

PHOTO 1 
Workers on Etete Junction by Adesuwa Road, in Benin City, Edo State, on Thursday, November 15, 2018.

PHOTO 2
Ongoing road reconstruction work along Ugbor-Amagba Road in Benin City, Edo State, on Thursday, November 15, 2018.

PHOTO 3
Ongoing road reconstruction work along Boundary Road in Benin City, Edo State, on Thursday, November 15, 2018.

PHOTO 4
Ongoing road reconstruction on Ugbor Road in Benin City, Edo State, on Thursday, November 15, 2018.


Akeem ReachnaijaNovember 16, 2018
IMG_20181116_115506_132.jpg

2min00
Update on Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s benevolence to family of the Enugu-born iconic highlife musician, Chief Mike Ejeagha, sequel to the governor’s unscheduled visit to his residence in Abakpa Nike, Enugu, last Saturday, to ascertain how he was faring and how the state government can assist him:

* Chief Ejeagha’s daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Ugwu, who shed tears of joy when Gov. Ugwuanyi offered her automatic employment in the state’s civil service to enable her take care of her father, despite that she surprised the governor by selflessly requesting him to FIRST give her husband a job, last night confirmed her husband, Hon. Ugwu has received his Letter of Appointment as an Executive Assistant (EA) to the Governor.

*The highly excited woman also confirmed that she attended an interview with the Enugu State Civil Service Commission on Thursday as part of the requirements for her immediate employment.

The governor has equally forwarded the legal documents sent to his office by Chief Ejeagha, regarding the legal battle he has with a music company over the copyright of his songs, to a team of lawyers to study and advise him on the best way to assist the lengandary folkorist enjoy his well deserved royalty for his songs, which is so dear to him.

More details as they unfold…

Truly, Enugu State is in the hands of God!#amokelouis